Some children are "slow" in their life journeys, and we call them "slow-flying angels". (They are called "special needs" in the US.) Since 1980, Roman Catholics Diocese of Taichung has set up and maintained eight special-needs training centers in Taichung City, Changhua and Nantou County. These centers support the slow-flying angels by providing them with a continuum of professional programs and services such as day- and night-care, training, and special education.
Since the priests and the sisters retired, donations from abroad have halved. For that reason, the Diocese set up Family of Slow-Flying Angels. Family of Slow-Flying Angels is an association of these 8 special-needs training centers. Its mission is to help rural special-needs training centers to obtain resources and better cater to those with special needs.
The 8 special-needs training centers are as followed:
- St. Coletta's Training Center for Special Needs in Taichung City
- Tsz-Ai Mental Development Center in Taichung City
- Tsz-Ai Mercy Hospice at Changhua County
- Immaculate Heart Training Center for Special Needs at Lukang Township, Changhua County
- Holy Family Training Center for Special Needs at Yuanlin Township, Changhua County
- Holy Wisdom Training Center for Special Needs at Shichou Township, Changhua County
- Resurrection Training Center for Special Needs at Puli Township, Nantou County
- Holy Rosary Training Center for Special Needs at Chushan Township, Nantouch County